Thursday, June 25, 2009

Leaving Bormio

Miles from Home - 5309.75
Firsts / Highlights - Just a transportation day
Miles Ridden - 0 miles
Vertical Feet - 0 ft.
Route - No route today.
People - Ned from Scotland.

This post is from June 23, 2009.

Today was a transportation day, so there isn’t much to report. Just a couple of loose ends.



Daniele has been telling me about his “second wife” since I arrived in Bormio. I couldn’t leave town without getting a picture of the two of them together. He claims that wife #2 is less expensive, only requiring a water bottle and a strong pair of legs. For the bike geeks out there, yes, that is a Pinarello Prince – there is no more coveted bike in Italy. For the fitness geeks out there, no, I can’t lift my bike straight off the ground that way – and it’s not my bike’s fault.

The other loose end is an interesting story. There have been very few single people in the bike hotels. One such person was Ned, a lawyer from Scotland. He checked in the day before I was scheduled to leave. At dinner one night, he mentioned that he had seen my Moots in the bike storage area. He asked, “Moots – aren’t those made in a tubular shaped former foundry building in Steamboat Springs?”. I must have been dumbstruck for a few seconds, then said, “They haven’t been made there for over 5 years. That is now Orange Peel Bike Shop, but how in the world did you know that?”

He said that he had seen it in a magazine article about 5 years ago. Not only did he remember an article he saw 5 years ago about a bike brand that is nearly unheard-of in Europe, he remembered and could describe the building where they used to be made.

I’m still shaking my head about that. I guess I see how he got through law school. His legal library needs must be very small.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
* Google Analytics Code Block