Monday, June 22, 2009

Cioccolata Calda

Miles from Home - 5309.75
Firsts / Highlights - Rode Bormio 2000 and had the best cioccolata calda (hot chocolate) ever made
Miles Ridden - 11.54 miles
Vertical Feet - 2,368 ft.
Route - View Today’s Route Here
People - Just me.

This post is from June 21, 2009.

The day was cold and windy, so I didn't plan any big activities. I didn’t want to be completely inactive, so I rode the Bormio 2000 climb that starts 50 meters from the hotel. At the top of the gondola (Bormio 2000) there was an open concession, but not much going on. To give myself a head start on staying warm for the descent, I ordered a cioccolata calda (hot chocolate). I was expecting something functional to keep me warm, but what I got was far more than functional. It was called hot chocolate, but it was really more like hot chocolate pudding. It would have been possible to drink it, but I ate it with a spoon.

At 2.30 euro ($3.25), I assumed the high price was attributable to being at the top of a ski resort. I don’t think anyone would ever complain about the price of hot chocolate if we could make it like this at Steamboat. I asked the concession owner what chocolate he used, and he went into the back to bring out a bag of powdered chocolate called Moretto. He said he used 1 ladle per cup and the ladle looked like about 2 oz. I have not searched yet to see if this is available to purchase in the U.S., but if it is, you will be welcome to try it at my house because there will certainly be some in my cupboard.

I may have done something else after this, but it is all a blur after to cioccolata calda.

Actually, there was one more thing. I spent the afternoon planning next steps for the trip and not finding much. A lot of rain is forecast everywhere this week. I finally decided to go to the Italian Riviera where chances of dry weather are better, but not guaranteed.

I considered going to a city in Switzerland so that I could do city activities if it rained, but nightly rates were outrageous. I do want to do a quick pass through Switzerland, but with costs as high as they are, I want to do a little more planning. I also considered going to the Pyrenees to continue climbing in western France, but the place I would like to go did not have availability this week. I may still go there later depending on availability in the schedule. In an effort to keep my economical and active streak going, I found a 4th Bike Hotel in a town called Finale on the Mediterranean. I will be extending my stay in Bormio 1 day and checking in at Finale on 23 June. My travel looks like a child’s scribbling on a map of Italy, but it’s working for me so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
* Google Analytics Code Block