Tuesday, April 14, 2009

First Week of Giro Logistics - Solved

I have mentioned already how difficult it was going to be to work through the logistics of following the Giro when traveling alone. Some of the challenges are train schedules, hotel rooms, rental cars, van services, parking, closed roads, language and mobs of people. Repeat each one of those challenges every day as the race moves from town to town.

I finally found a good solution. I am going to join a group traveling with a tour company called Experience Plus for the first week of the race. They take care of everything other than the riding, watching, eating and sleeping. I have those covered.

I traveled with Experience Plus back in 2003 when I rode from Venice north through the Dolomites. I know they do a very good job, so I am confident this will be a good introduction to getting around the race. Once the first week is done, I will either be able to do some chasing on my own, or slow down the pace a little and not change hotels every night. Although the company runs tours all over Europe, Asia, South America and Australia, their headquarters are just over the hill in Fort Collins, Colorado. Barely a long distance call.

This is definitely a step in the right direction for getting off to a good start.

2 comments:

  1. Why not just get a number and race along with the Pros? Come on, you can do it! You're tough enough! Enjoy nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apart from genetics, life choices, pain tolerence and single-minded committment, I probably have everything it would take to participate in the Giro.

    ReplyDelete

 
* Google Analytics Code Block