Saturday, May 16, 2009

Shifting Gears

Miles from Home - 5370.1 miles
Firsts / Highlights - Arrived at Lake Garda Bike Hotel, pistachio gelato.
Miles Ridden - 15.02 miles
Vertical Feet - 570 ft
Route - View Today's Route Here.
People - Had dinner with Nicola Verdolin, owner/manager of Hotel Veronella (where I am staying). He is a friend of Stefano from Hotel Dory and a member of the Italy Bike Hotel group that was started by Stefano.

Also had dinner with Bruce and Tracy from Boulder, CO. Bruce owns Excel Sports and imports Italian bikes and clothing to the U.S.. Bruce and Tracy are going to be on tomorrow's group ride and doing a Gran Fondo (4,000 person citizen bike race) on Sunday. Bruce is here celebrating his upcoming 50th birthday. Looking at him, I wouldn’t be surprised if he comes back from the Gran Fondo on Sunday night with a win.


Visualizza Lazise in una mappa di dimensioni maggiori



This post is from May 14, 2009.

No stage viewing today. I may catch one of two more live stages, but the intensity is going to drop off considerably starting today.

Today was the first day since I have arrived in Italy that has shown any sign of a slower pace. I still transferred to a new city, moved into a new room and went for a short ride, but compared to the past 2 weeks, it was pretty casual. I planned to take a day off the bike, but after arriving, it just didn’t seem right to be sedentary. I had time for an afternoon nap, though, so all in all, it was a pretty easy day.

Experience Plus was kind enough to drop me at the hotel, so I didn’t need to break down my bike or do any train travel. I now have a full week with no logistical challenges.

My immediate impression of this hotel is that it is more than just a “bike” hotel. It is a “sports” hotel. They have a complex of perfectly manicured soccer fields where they can host team camps. Everyone in the lobby is either in cycling spandex or soccer sweats. The other difference I notice is that the food is a step above Hotel Dory. Although Dory was good, this restaurant has a very good chef and you are able to order off a menu rather than a buffet. My room rate includes lodging, breakfast, pocket lunch for the ride, after-ride snack, 5-course dinner, guide services and laundry. I can’t imagine why I will need to leave.

The other initial impression of the hotel is that they will have a good variety of riding. They have flats around the lake, hills, mountains, ancient towns, cities, vineyards and olive groves. I suspect every day is going to be very different than the last.

Why is it that with every organized ride in Colorado people think they are getting a late start if they are not on the road by 7:00 am? Italians are on my schedule. Giro stages start around noon or 1:00. Tomorrow's 100k ride with 4 passes starts at 10:00. That's the right idea.

The pictures on today’s post are from my short spin around the south eastern corner of Lake Garda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
* Google Analytics Code Block