Saturday, May 23, 2009

Florence

Miles from Home - 5473.6 miles
Firsts / Highlights - First time to set foot in Tuscany.
Miles Ridden - 0.0 miles
Vertical Feet - 0 ft
Route - No ride today (or the next couple of days).
People - Just me

This post is from May 21-23, 2009.


Visualizza Florence / Firenze in una mappa di dimensioni maggiori

I left Lake Garda yesterday and moved from bike riding in the countryside to big city adventures. My original plan was to go directly to Siena, but the hotel closed out availability for the first 2 nights of my stay. I could have stayed at Garda for a couple of more nights, but my bike was already packed, so I decided to improvise. End result, I’m in Florence (a.k.a., Firenza).

The guide books say that the Academia and Uffizi require reservations months in advance, but I was able to get both last night when I arrived. I am heading to the Academia now to see Michelangelo’s David. Later, the Uffizi for one of the great art collections in the world.

The Giro has a stage finish in Florence tomorrow, so I will stick around for the circus before catching a train to Siena.

It’s easier to bleed money while in the city than the countryside, so I am going to head off and try to keep my credit card idle for as much of the day as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
* Google Analytics Code Block